The Kraken: Developmental build up to product

being a production focused brief, I wanted to produce one illustration
to then apply to a range of formats and materials. It all started from this one squiggle.

That squiggle was based on this illustration I did last year.

I started to rework the head first in a rough outline.

I figured out the basic shape of the image and then started looking at
the more complicated shapes involved.

This thing here, looks a bit like its been stood on, was the first
proper development of the image in my opinion.
It started to take shape a look a little more realised. (using a 0.3 pen)

Still using the same pen, I just built on the previous idea and started
figuring out how to start overlapping tentacles and make
the overall image more complex.

I started using a 0.1 tip pen  to rough in some fine detail.




The above three images are the final outline, still imperfections
as you can see with overlapping lines, but I felt that this was
ready to move into digital produciton.

Bad photo aside, this is the digital outline.

Digital illustration give you the power to produce the perfect line every time,
so alot of time was spent on this outline making sure all the line thicknesses
worked well together. I only used two different strokes for this.

I then started playing with simple complimentary colours
I wanted the eyes to be warm, and the rest to be cold, with the beige aiding
the transition from blue to pink.

The turquoisee wasnt working for the suckers, 


It felt like there were too many colours, and this made the image
look chaotic and would also be a nightmare to screen print. I had also started
adding tonal shadows to the image at this stage.

I changed the colours for uniformity and added highlights.

I then added in waves, inspired from hokusai wood carvings/ prints.

There were still too many colours here for any sort of efective screen printing
Its a shame that this needs to be simplified because the colour makes it pop.
See previous posts for colour changes and considerations for screen print.