Another mini collaborative brief

Mark asked me the other day if I was available to produce an illustration for a live brief he's working on.
He asked for a one colour illustration for a 12" record single entitled "everyone is sleeping but i'm dreaming out loud." Mark was ok for me to produce a concept to illustrate to.

I had the rough idea of a character with a thought bubble coming out of an open eye
in the middle of his head to represent dreaming, while his eyes were shut.
I knew that I wanted the illustration to be patterned and stretch over and interact with the
back of the vinyl. Maybe do something that can work as a structure for marks type treatments.

This was the first idea, just quick fire image making to get my brain warmed up and thinking
visually.


This had started developing nicely, but I felt that the image needed to be
central on the format as apposed to coming out from the bottom. I felt this would make a stronger
resolution.

Here was the first idea for the central artwork. Keeping it relatively simple
as Mark had required.

I developed this because the image itself was looking bare, and the clean
lines mark wants dont look like anything without thick black
patterning in and around the image. 


I started thinking about the overall image as a compostion, it soon became clear to me that
the face was too safe and I always draw this character face, so i wanted to do something different.

Heres a bigger work up of the previous thumbnail. I was confident this would work,
but the shapes all needed to be tightened - especially the headphones, eyes, nose, mouth, brows.. well everything
but the basic idea was good.

I was most happy with this work up, it was starting to develop
attirbutes I was happy with, and the line work was beginnning
to look more realised. The clouds to the side of the image work
better now and the patterning is paying off. Im still unsure about the face at this point,
and the glow above the third eye doesnt really look like a glow.

I started to work the last sketch up in illustrator, but Im not really happy with it
I feel that I couldnt get enough control of the vector lines to produce the
level of detail and complicated shapes that I wanted to do. The had drawn image works much better at the moment.
I want to redraw the image by hand large scale, and then put it into photoshop to see what I can do with it. I think this way I will be able to have more freedom to produce the linework I want to, and this work could potentially diversify my portfolio a little. Ill post up more progress very soon.