This week's editorial illustration from the independant and the guardian.
The nature of editorial is obviously to represent the article, and the tone of voice for these images is sattyre, and they are all hand drawn and coloured by the looks of things, Im going to have to find more for comparison, but this could potentially affect the way I approach ilustration - would vector art be totally appropriate?
I think that If i incorporate texture into the illustration and make the appear more hand drawn, but actually produce them in a vector file, the effect could work well, and as a bi product translate well into print, e.g...
I could make the images rich and textural using full colour or digital/ litho printing, but then remove the texture and limit the colourway for screen printing. Vector illustration would remove scalability as an issue, meaning I can produce the illustrations at an scale and on any format.
I have decided that I want to produce illustrations which reflect current affairs based on a theme, for example economics or politics, but I want to read through a few issues of the guardian to get some good ideas for themes, and find out what area of current affairs will offer up the most potential for really strong images. It is a shame to me that the illustrators work exists exclusively available as the editorial work and it would be nice to see prints of some illustration. This is a good chance for me to exploit this brief idea, and produce a little more than just editorial illustration. I will post up my deliverable ideas in a seperate post