I have been looking at existing yearbooks from westminster, demontford, huddersfield, london and sheffield in addition to a few others. I wanted to get an idea of how the designers have considered the interplay between type and image, in considering the composition of the double page spreads and page space. I think the 'LOVE PAPER' double page spread works well, with limited annotation to the images, but for a yearbook, the actual layout design probably would not work, because it looks alot like a magazine, but they can also get away with it because of the larger format.
In terms of bodies of type, I think the less is more approach is definately appropriate here, with a view to the images doing alot of the talking about the students ( Reffering to the 'Jessica Madden' double page spread in the westminster yearbook.) Again, there is too much type here, and the point size is too big, but the idea is much more effective. In the meeting with sue, it was also mentioned that the developmental work should be included in the yearbook wherever possible as well as the final products, this double page spread helps to give an idea into how that would be done.
In looking at all these yearbooks, I think my personal preferance on what works best is an uncoated stock, with possibly a satin or just heavyer uncoated stock for the cover. This is because it has to be all about the students, and I think that an uncoated stock will not detract from pages with a high shine like satin possibly could, and would focus exclusively on what is actually on the page as apposed to the page itself. Budget is also a big issue, So I will be looking into a price comparison of coated and uncoated stocks. I will pick back up on this in another post and show the last years BA(Hons) Fashion yearbook.
I have left all these publications with Sue for her and paul to have a look at in regards to generating some ideas on their end.