Colour halftone can look good, but it is an automated version of quite a complicated process, and on software like photoshop it is often much more effective to avoid these automated processes, because by nature they cut corners and therefor you will not be able to manipulate the conditions of the process to get the results you want, time and time again.
I have experimented with colour halftone and used screen angles, but the tool misses out some funcitons that I would prefer to automate myself. the end result is that it basically drastically reduces image quality, and the nature of the dots (often being in cross shapes because of very high LPI) makes for fuzzy outlines and questionable colour fills...
...as you can see above. It also makes the Moire pattern tile in strange ways, which you would not come across in industry because they basically dont work. That is basically why colour halftoning shouldnt be used for effective emulation of newspaper printing. I'll go into more depth about the actual process behind the outcome more in the next post I make, where I'll talk about Moire patters, screen angles and image quality.