Haiku Book cover: The Ebb & Flow






This cover was the product of experiment to be honest, I literally printed out the cover onto brilliant white 120gsm matt, and left the title space blank, because I had exposed the title onto a screen. It was a paper screen so it meant straight away, I couldnt use glue for foil, but I also didnt want to use gloss because It can be a messy experience. This left me to screen print in a more traditional manner. I had Gold metallic powder mixed up, and so decided to spread the materials wider as to not waste them, and also for a more solid uniformity across the print range for this project. I produced 5 of these covers, and I think two worked as well as I wanted them to. I kept getting a double image, but this wasnt because of wanton screen pulls, it was down to having to do more than one because the metallic ink would not take of the digitally printed, dark green image. The photos above are the best examples from that production session. Also, the reversed out white type is legible, but the quality obviously isnt professional because I wasnt prepared to outsource a printer for this brief, and the stock itself is slightly pourous. The subtle application of a texture onto the image seems to have acted as an enhancer as well which im happy about. I was worried it would look over the top.

I had decided early on that this was going to be hard back basically because I have done too many softback publications, which were a bit of an avoidance of perfect binding. I decided to bite the bullet here and back them onto a greyboard which was approx 400gsm ( I sourced this from the downstairs print room so Im unsure of its weight because it was part of some paper stock packaging.) The covers, spine and bind (which I will talk about in another post) are mediocre, but the brief was very quick turn around (a week and three days) in time for the book fair.