This was intended as a mock up, but I was suprised at how close this came to the original in terms of type size, and image framing in comparison to format etc. There are major differences however, see below:
The difference that sticks out the most for me is the size of the type down the edge. Mine is at 22pt/26pt. This needs reducing down to (an educated guess) 14pt/16pt. The typefaces arent correct, but this is because I cant afford to buy the typefaces used on the actual guardian newspapers and web content.
For all intents and purposes however, the type design here isnt the focus, it merely acts as a believable frame for the image to exist within, to give the illustration more weight, so non the less, getting the details right is key to the success of this brief.
Another major difference is my choice of header font. I chose a font which basically compliments my illustration and doesnt look out of place in the context of the guardian. I did this again because I couldnt afford to buy the real deal. I also didnt want to use a similar font like Rockwell bold, because it generally just looked cheap as can be seen in the early PDF stages of this project.
For me, the absolutely most important comparison here, is the print process that has been used. Mine was standard digital print (which it will remain) and obviously newspapers are printed using plates and colour separation. I supplied these images because on the g2 cover you can see a CMYK bitmapped pattern, which is obviously key to a genuine newspaper aesthetic, and done in industry traditionally because of expensive digital printer maintainance and production costs.
This project needs to become more proccess driven from here on out, with the main part of the design and illustration done, because all that goes to waste in a sense if i cant find a way to emulate this print process, but using a digital printer instead of a traditional lithographic process. I feel like im making good progress with this brief, and aim to move it forward relatively quickly from this point on.